Monday, November 26, 2012

LUDERITZ 26,11,2012

The wind tried to make an appearance yesterday but wasn't strong enough. Forecast still looks ok for Thursday.

Just need 1 more windy day

Sunday, November 25, 2012

LUDERITZ 25/11/2012

Frustrating day for me, just couldn't seem to get the speeds.

The course was a little tighter than last Wednesday which may have been the problem.

I am still waiting for my fins, the Namibia post must deliver by donkey (not that there is anything wrong with donkeys, I am a proud Guernsey Donkey, but a plane would be better in this instance)

I swapped between 4 sails yesterday trying to find the right setup, a deeper more upright fin may have been the answer.

Going to have a play with the sails this morning and see what we can work out. I know from previous years a small change can make a huge difference.

Friday, November 23, 2012


It's the morning of the 6th day for us in Luderitz. We have had 4 days sailing since we arrived and it has taken up until now to get the kit dialed in.

I have used my 5.5. 5.8 and 6.0 GPS Hotsails Maui  sails for the first time this week, as well the first time on the sails it's the first time I have used the Starboard W44 and my Black Project X45. A lot of learning.

On Wednesday I recorded a 500m average speed of 48.21 knots maxing at 50.05 using the 5.5 GPS, W44 and X45.

Thursday was all about tuning and changing things around. There was no official timing as they thought the wind wasn't strong enough. With my last run of the day on the 6.0 GPS I maxed at 49.55.

I sailed with a 3kg weight jacket and the difference was amazing. Checking the video afterwards it's really noticeable that I am more locked in with a better stance ready to absorb the gusts where as on Wednesday the gusts were lifting me up on my toes.

Great forecast for today or tomorrow. No typo there, one forecast says today one says tomorrow.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

15/11/2012 count down

Final preparations today, photo copy id / paper work, hair cut (I know, it doesn't take long), load up the van, pester Pierre to be ready (I know, that will take long).

Very excited, just one more day of really good winds forecast on Saturday and then I'll be there. Wednesday still looking the windiest day so far.


Almost there.

We catch the ferry overnight on Friday to Portsmouth, drive up to Heathrow and fly out Saturday night to Capetown. Hire a car and 14 hours later we'll be in Luderitz.

I have my new 2013 Hotsails gps 5.5 and 6.0 already and pick up the 5, 5.2 and 5.8 in Luderitz (hopefully) also new Black Project X 40, 45 and 50's.

I am taking 4 booms, 2 boards and enough masts for all the sails.

I rigged up the 5.5 and 6 the other day and filmed it with my iPhone, video attached. Only one thing to say, "we are ready, big time".

The last week has been torture watching the records tumble however at the moment next Wednesday's forecast is for the strongest wind yet. Tuesday warm up and Wednesday watch out.

I'll post every day if I can get an Internet connection.

Wish me luck.